- Archives & Records Center
Archives & Records Center
We Service all of the departments of St. Joseph County and the city of South Bend by:
- Providing storage space for historical/non-historical records.
- Retrieving stored records and delivering to requested department.
- Providing training on the life-cycle of your departments records.
- Destroying/microfilming records in accordance with retention schedule.
We service citizens by:
- Helping them on their ancestral journey with records that we have that are available to the public.
- Search online Indexes at the South Bend Area Genealogical Society
- Guiding them to the appropriate departments to request records they are looking for.
- What is the difference between a certified copy and a non-certified copy of a marriage license?
A certified copy of a marriage license has the courts seal on it certifying that it is a true and legal copy of the marriage license, usually required for legal purposes, like getting your real id. A non-certified copy of a marriage license does not have any seal on it, usually used for personal purposes, like for genealogy.
- How do I obtain a certified copy of my marriage license?
To obtain a certified copy of your marriage license, please fill out the form Certified Marriage License Clerk's Office and submit.
- Where can I get a copy of a non-certified Marriage License?
You can request the document from the Clerk's Office or from the Archives and Records Center.
- What years does the Archives have for Marriage Licenses?
We have Marriage Licenses from 1832 to 1988 from South Bend, and 9/9/1980 to 2/14/1998 from Mishawaka.
- What is the difference between a Marriage License and a Marriage Application?
A Marriage License gives you the date when the couple applied to get their marriage license, and the date, place, and who married them. The Marriage Application has the biographical information, date of birth, birthplace, parents information, if they have been married before, etc...
- What years does the Archives have for Marriage Applications?
We have Marriage Applications from April 1905 to 1988 from South Bend, and 9/9/1980 to 2/14/1998 from Mishawaka.