CASA of SJC in the News
2018 CASA News
Date: November 18, 2018
Source: South Bend Tribune Report
A new group of volunteers was sworn in this month to help serve the children of the county.
Seventeen people, right, who completed the eight-week training for St. Joseph County’s Court Appointed Special Advocates program were sworn in Nov. 2. They will advocate for children involved in the juvenile court system as a result of abuse or neglect. The volunteers investigate, negotiate, monitor and advocate for the best interest of the child, testify at court hearings and submit written reports.
Even with the new volunteers, nearly 400 children in the county are still waiting for a CASA. No special training is needed to apply, but volunteers must be over 21. If you are willing to speak up for a child in need, apply to become a CASA volunteer. The winter training is scheduled to begin in January.
The children need other kinds of help as well. CASA is asking for donations of new, unwrapped toys, books, games, clothes, personal items, and even luggage in order to help the more than 700 children in foster care in St. Joseph County enjoy the holiday season. DVDs, video games, toys that simulate weapons or gifts with religious overtones cannot be accepted. Donations can be dropped off at any of the following locations:
From now until Dec. 10:
• St. Joseph County Juvenile Justice Center, 1000 S. Michigan St, South Bend.
• The Brain Lair Bookstore, 714 E. Jefferson Blvd., South Bend.
From Monday through Dec. 19:
• Sorella Boutique, 7220 Heritage Square Drive, No. 510, Granger.
• Pink Pineapple Boutique, 7225 Heritage Square Drive, No. 240, Granger.
• Glance Eyewear Gallery, 7220 Heritage Square Drive, No. 560, Granger.
• Edidble Arrangements, 7225 Heritage Square Drive, No. 230, Granger.
• Salon Nouveau, 7220 Heritage Square Drive, No. 530, Granger.
• Urban Swirl Frozen Yogurt, 7130 Heritage Square Drive, No. 440, Granger.
• Trek Bicycle Store, 7225 Heritage Square Drive, No. 260, Granger.
Monetary donations are also being accepted to help buy gifts for children in crisis. Checks or money orders can be mailed to:
CASA of St. Joseph County, 1000 S. Michigan St., South Bend, IN 46601.
To learn more about how volunteering or supporting the CASA Program of St. Joseph County can make a difference, visit the website at www.sjccasa.org or contact Recruiter/Trainer, Lety Stanton-Verduzco at 574-233-CASA or e-mail: email@example.com.